Monday, September 05, 2011

The First Bump in the Road...

Like every great quest, there always seems to be a bump or two in the road. Hopefully I've just had mine and can begin moving past it in the morning.

On Thursday afternoon I lost my Maw Maw, Myrtle Fowler. She was my last remaining grandparent and I've spent the last few days dealing with the funeral and trying to find a way to deal with my grief. She was a big part of why I went into law enforcement, all those westerns and Andy Griffith always on the tv at her house, and she had a profound effect on my work ethic and sense of responsibility to those around me. I miss her very much, and while the Ride & Run to Remember is dedicated to those who serve and have given their lives behind the badge, I know I will also be riding in her memory...she was and always will serve as an inspiration to me in dark times and her memory will be the fuel which powers my progress.

Tomorrow I begin again, on so many levels, and my pre-ride preparations will continue. If the weather holds out I'll log a 10-15 mile ride somewhere during the day...if it doesn't I'll log an hour on the cycle ops trainer in the living room.

Thanks to everyone who has shown their support so far!

No comments: