Saturday, September 24, 2011

Trial Run Completed!

Well, due to yesterday's horribly rainy weather I had to postpone my planned 'trial run' at New River State Park. I got up early this morning and headed out for Virginia. Got on the trail about 7:30am and logged a 31.89 mile ride. It was muddy and rainy, and very slow going at times. I only averaged about 10 mph and my total ride time was a little under 3 hours...took a short break at the halfway mark so I could eat a snack, which put the total trip time at 3:16 minutes.

All in all it wasn't too bad, the mud and uneven terrain caused by the rain storms really made it frustrating at times, and my back and legs are killing me as a result, but at least I can say I did a full metric half-century ride today. Actually, a little more...0.89 miles to be exact.

Still having problems with my GPS logger, it didn't track the first part of the ride and then the iPhone battery died about 1 mile from the finish. I had to go in and use the mapping feature on the iMapMyRide website to re-draw my route. Fortunately it was fairly easy to do, since the trail is nice visible on the overhead, as were my starting location and my turn-around point. Glad I used landmarks for those, otherwise my distance would have been way off. As it stands, my logged distance isn't off by more than .1 mile, and I think I logged it on the short side at that.

Looking forward to the next week, going to try and do some 15-20 mile rides around the area to keep up my momentum. And I'm planning on heading out Wednesday to a bunch of local businesses to ask them for donations to help my fundraising efforts.

No comments: