Thursday, May 09, 2013

The Galloway Method

So I'm taking the advice of my running friends and starting on my training plan for a half marathon. I'll be using the Galloway Method, which was developed by Jeff Galloway. He's the official running coach for RunDisney and has a lot of good information for both beginning and experienced runners. He uses a run-walk method which emphasizes short walking breaks early and often to allow the body to maximize muscle efficiency. I started today with a short 1 mile run during which I walked 2 minutes spaced out evenly in the 12 minutes I ran. While today I didn't use much rhyme or reason to my walking breaks, this weekend I'll be doing a much longer run and hope to do a 2:1 run:walk ratio. That means I'll run 2 minutes and then walk 1 minute throughout the run. By the time my next official event rolls around in October, I hope to be doing a 5:1 ratio.





 


No comments: